“Write a recipe for successful writing.”
– a writing prompt for today.
Please take the below written recipe with a grain of salt, and possibly, a lime wage.
It is taken from my own cookbook.
It is meant to be light, whimsical and slightly amusing.
- Before you start baking your creation, be sure that your oven is pre-heating (i.e. that your laptop is plugged in/ charged).
- This step might come as a shock to some of you, but next, you need to actually separate (vs. combine) your ingredients from the ready-made mixture in the bowl (i.e your head) before you re-combine them to form the final product.
1. First, utilize a magnet to pull the main idea for a post out of the bowl. Then, use just a teaspoon of it. A little amount goes a long way. Add it to your baking pan (i.e. a notebook).
2. Decide what kind of post you want to write (i.e. fictional story, a poem, a review, an instructional, etc.), and add 1/2 cup of it to the pan.
3. Depending on what choice you made in the sub-step above, you will need to stir in some type-specific content, which can be found in the ready-made mixture in the bowl. Add 1 and 3/4 cup to the pan and stir gently, until all of the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth/ has no lumps (i.e. no plot holes, cohesive text, tone and language adequate to nature of post). Do not over stir it! The baked good will become too chaotic/ too robotic/ too tough to chew.
- Sprinkle in a pinch of creativity into the mixture.
- Once all of your ingredients are mixed in the pan, proceed to transferring it into the oven. Be careful not to spill too much wine over that liquid, unbaked dough, because otherwise, it might just come out a hot mess.
- Before you close that oven door (i.e. hit the publish button), make sure that you added all of the ingredients. This is your last chance to add the secret ingredients of your own; be it chocolate or cinnamon (i.e. anecdotes, personal testimonies), or something else entirely.
- Pray to the gods of all creation to let readers enjoy your post.
- Sit back and watch your creation bake (i.e. likes and comments).
- Enjoy with a sip of a beverage and pie of your choice .
What is YOUR recipe for good writing?