Here we are again – the end of an old year, and the beginning of a new one. Why are we so quick to discard the old one? I am sure there are things we can learn and bring with us into the new year.
I started the tradition of a “December 31st” post in 2017, which was when I first started blogging. In about half a year, I wrote 60 posts. I was so proud of it. The following year, I was able to pen 148 posts (WOW!). 2019 was when I adhered to a rather rigid (at least for me) blogging schedule, and it paid off. 192 posts were published then. This year, I got to 96. Kind of disappointing, but it is what it is.
As a result, my stats dropped this year… But, the one stat that I care a lot about – comments per post – actually went up, so I am happy. Also, words per post went up, too. I do not know how YOU feel about that, but I like my lengthier content.
In 2020, I wrote 35 Creative Writing entries and 35 News Related Opinion Pieces and 26 miscellaneous posts (Hashtag Week, Golden Reviews, Fun with Countries, etc.).
What are my plans for 2020? I would love to continue sharing my NROP and CW on a regular basis. It is my intention to focus on FwC a little more than I did this year. But, the reality of the situation is that no one knows what will happen. 2021 is definitely shaping up to be a mysterious one for me. It is as if I am in a cornfield and there is fog all around me. I think I am going forward, but I might only be walking in circles. And who knows what will jump up at me the next time I turn?
Below, you will find a list of all my posts from 2020 (from oldest to newest). I implore you to take a look, if you skipped any of them, if you would like to check if your views on a certain topic changed throughout the year, if you are looking for inspiration, or if you are simply bored.
Before I go to sip some mandatory champagne –
HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y’ALL!
Thank you so much for being there for and with me this crazy year of 2020. I hope that we get to be a part of each other’s blogging journey in 2021 as well!
The Floatinggold Compendium of 2020 (in chronological order):
- NROP: Do not wait until tomorrow. Get divorced today! – shares when it is best to get divorced. Bonus tip: The best day to be on a dating app.
- Static Dreams vol. 2 on Amazon! Grab your copy now. – an updated list of retailers from which you can buy a book with my first published short story.
- CW: Count your blessings. – a short story about a relationship, regret, and war.
- NROP: Should we be held responsible for our transgressions? – a hard look at criminal activity and punishment.
- CW: I will always carry you. – a story in 99 words about carrying.
- NROP: Using your body to put out raging fires. – See what some people do to help others in need.
- CW: A bucket full of love. – a short story about family, hardship, and love.
- NROP: I don’t wanna go down to the basement. – discusses housing solutions in crowded spaces.
- BT: Answer me this: Tags + Conclusion – the final installment of the Blogging Tips; tells you how many and which tags to use to gain the most traction.
- CW: My way or protest – a story in 99 words about a protest.
- NROP: You will become famous if you do this one thing. – a simple suggestion if you want to increase the number of your subscribers.
- CW: Musical chairs – a captivating story about a man who was a disappointment to some but an inspiration to others.
- NROP: When in Rome… – A guide to getting arrested abroad. – a cautionary tale for travelers.
- CW: Every step you take… – a short story about a man obsessed with a woman.
- NROP: Animals – why we need them and how to treat them. – Some people love them, some eat them, some hunt them. A cross-section of different relationships between humans and animals.
- CW: The one that got away – a story about love and loss.
- NROP: Going viral – the double-edged sword of social media. – Social media can make your life better, but it can also make it hell.
- HW: #TuesdayThoughts; How to have the upper hand in relationships. – Turns out, you should not be nice.
- HW: #WednesdayWisdom; How to learn your lessons and remember them. – The new tradition that will hopefully help me and future generations.
- CW: The search. Part 1. – What happens when a teenage girl goes missing? Part 1.
- Spotlight: Mimi @ Life Is The Best Coach – February 2020 – a monthly installment highlighting some of my blogging buddies.
- Buy now: Static Dreams Volume 2! – all of the links to an anthology featuring my short story; paperback and ebook.
- NROP: Things we need when we mourn. – a debate on the level of privacy celebrities can expect during hard times.
- CW: The search. Part 2. – The search for a missing girl continues. See where she is found.
- NROP: How not to alienate your potential customers. – on racism in advertising.
- CW: The search. Part 3. – Delilah is found but it does not take much to make her disappear again.
- NROP: Love in the Time of Cholera or How to live through Coronavirus. – a look at different approaches people take during a pandemic.
- Break – a brief announcement regarding my absence from the blog.
- Parenting in times of a pandemic. – the difficulties families face and the potential benefits of being in close quarters with your little ones for prolonged periods of time.
- CW: The search. Part 4 (final). – find out how Delilah’s story ends. Will she find home?
- NROP: Traveling in times of a pandemic + BONUS! A personal tale. – see the impact COVID-19 had on my life as a traveler.
- Golden Review: Emotional Doodles – an introduction to a new segment of my blog. Honest reviews by Goldie.
- CW: Arielle – four writing prompts in one piece. About a man waiting for a woman to arrive on a train.
- NROP: 5 places to avoid right now. – a list of places you do not want to frequent if you are trying to avoid exposure to the virus.
- HW: #TuesdayThoughts; Whom should I contact for you in case of an emergency? – We live like we will never die. Sometimes it is important to stop and consider what if we have an emergency.
- NROP: Heros and victims of the pandemic. – on how the pandemic impacted sex workers around the world.
- CW: Never a writer. – a short thriller, showcasing the pain of a writer unable to write.
- NROP: The only way to fight racism… – a discussion on how violence impacts racism and change.
- 3rd blogging anniversary! + Fun with Countries (not to be mistaken with “Fun with Flags”). – a celebration of my third blogging anniversary + the announcement of a new series.
- CW: New world order (Speak up!) [Part 1 of 2] – a dystopian tale about the future of our freedoms.
- NROP: #ITakeResponsibility and all that jazz; Ways to make the world a better place. – a show of how certain actions of the members of our society are really inaction, since they change nothing, yet appear virtuous.
- CW: New world order (Speak up!) [Part 2 of 2] – 2nd part to the dystopian tale about the future of our freedoms.
- NROP: Racism on the shelves – How the products we grew to love make us racist. – a quest to find out why liking Aunt Jemima’s products is so racist.
- CW: March 3rd. Part 1. – a story told from a second person perspective; about an author who finally got published.
- CW: March 3rd. Part 2. – a continuation of the story from the perspective of the husband of the newly published author.
- NROP: 3 Character Traits That Every President Needs. – What are some skills a president needs to possess? Answers seem to differ among the people.
- CW: Waiting for the world to change. – Have you ever been late to a meeting? This blood-chilling story explores what can happen while you are being waited on.
- NROP: We don’t need no education. – For some, remote learning has proven ideal. For others, nothing can substitute in-person training. Does it have to be all or nothing?
- CW: “But it DID happen!” – Have you ever been through a traumatic experience no one else believes in? Read one of those stories here.
- NROP: Goya – Cancel Culture Continued. – how a single person’s political opinion can throw the country into war.
- CW: Turning tables. – a heart-wrenching tale about a girl and the mean stepmother and stepsisters with a happy ending.
- HW: Monday Motivation; Chase Your Dreams! – Do it now, because you might regret your inaction later. Is anyone’s happiness worth achieving if yours is lost?
- CW: The Marriage Journal – the idyllic story of the newlyweds with a spot of hot sauce.
- Fun with Countries: Svalbard + Jan Mayen – the first in the FwC series. Fun facts about Svalbard and Jan Mayen.
- CW: A Kinder Surprise – What would you do if you found an abandoned child during a blizzard? Find out what Rosa did.
- NROP: Beirut Explosion – How Lack of Responsibility Blew Up In People’s Faces. – on work ethics or there lack of.
- CW: The Heart Snapper. – a female killer, a revenge tale, a handsome cop.
- NROP: Next stop – a racist ice cream truck song. – on how an ice cream truck song became evil.
- Pre – Block Party – Party! – the announcement, and an invitation to my annual block party.
- Golden Review: ‘The Eclectic’ by Colin Reynolds – a review of a book by Mr. Reynolds.
- CW: The Same No More. – a tale of a soldier who returns home to find things upside down.
- CW: It Ain’t Easy Being Rich. – Being rich can help, but it can also complicate things. A rich man dies. Did his young wife poison him, was it his jealous ex, or maybe someone else?
- Block Party – 4th edition – my annual block party in full swing!
- CW: Keep Calm – part 1. – Are you afraid of tight spaces? You wouldn’t want to be stuck in an elevator.
- NROP: Lady in Red. – How a simple photo can cause you to catch some flack.
- CW: Keep Calm – part 2. – Trapped in an elevator, Bethany hears a voice come through the speakers… Is he her savior or her captor?
- NROP: Racial segregation – a thing of the past or the future? – In order to fight racism, African Americans are segregating themselves. Is that a step forward or backward?
- NROP: Then – Fly me to the Moon. Now – Fly me to Nowhere. – sparked by the coronavirus, a new form of travel emerges.
- CW: Delectable Treats. – a heart-warming story about a poor boy on his birthday.
- October 1: Flash Fiction Challenge – announcement of a month-long Rodeo challenge.
- NROP: COVID-19 is Killing Women’s Rights. – a look into the argument that COVID-19 has had a negative impact on the pursuit of women’s rights.
- FwC: North Korea – a second installment in the “Fun with Countries.” – See how people live in North Korea.
- CW: Sunset in Paradise – part 1. – A girl is left heartbroken after a breakup. Thankfully, she has her bestie to cheer her up.
- NROP: The only Goldie-approved Halloween costumes of 2020. – If you are worried about offending someone with your Halloween costume, feel free to dress up as Goldie.
- Golden Review: ‘The Exile’ by Shiloh Carozza – A review of a historical fiction novel about friendship.
- CW: Sunset in Paradise – part 2. – Vacation in paradise turns into horror with people tortured, and limbs torn off.
- NROP: Persuasion in the Nude. – about people who take off their clothes to persuade others to do various things, or think a certain way.
- CW: Sunset in Paradise – Part 3. – the final part of the story that will have you reconsidering everything you thought you knew.
- HW: #MondayMotivation; Perseverance through failure. – Tired of failing? It is just one step in your path to success.
- (Writing Contest) Rodeo #4: “Wanted Alive” – Rules and prompts for the Rodeo flash fiction challenge.
- CW: The Love That Will Never Fade. – a short story about a long lost love that has never been forgotten.
- NROP: Humanity in Times of Presidential Elections. – a reminder that we should be compassionate towards our loved ones, despite their political affiliations.
- CW: Outstretched Arm. – a short tale of a troubled woman saved by the bell.
- NROP: The Death of Art. – Hollywood, and art in general, are becoming more and restricted by people who do not understand the free-flow of creativity.
- CW: The Origins of a Cowboy + The Rodeo of Life. – a humorous 99-long tale about a curious kid, accompanied by a 99-syllable-long poem about the ups and downs of life.
- NROP: Fighting hate with hate. – We are told to make love and not war, but, too often, those that say that fight hate with hate.
- Winner Announced! (Writing Contest) Rodeo #4: Wanted Alive. – the conclusion of the Rodeo contest, and the announcement of the winner.
- CW: Forever Young. – Do you act differently around your siblings? Are you more or less mature? A tale about adult brothers and sisters acting like kids.
- FwC: Kyrgyzstan – a third installment in the “Fun with Countries” series.
- NROP: In Santa’s Lap. – Santa in a plastic cage. For everyone’s safety.
- Award ceremony – November 2020. Receiving and giving. – Awards, questions, and answers.
- #25DaysofChristmas – an intro to a completely new, revolutionary, Twitter take on #Blogmas.
- NROP: A Trip to the Movies. – on how the pandemic affected movie theaters and Hollywood stars.
- NROP: Evictions – a Moral Quandary. – a philosophical debate on the best course of action when it comes to not paying rent and evictions.
- NROP: How Hugging Became an Extreme Sport. – Are hugs really that important If so, there are ways to hug and stay safe. Read more.
- This post.
Did you enjoy reading this post?
Have some thoughts on the topic?
Share in the COMMENTS.
Do you regularly enjoy my blog?
Be sure to FOLLOW.
Are my posts getting lost in your busy Reader?
Want to get to know me better?
Check me out on TWITTER @SamGoldieKirk.